1/2 cup chopped onion
6 Tbsp butter
6 cups (1 large) butternut squash
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 (8 oz) pkg light cream cheese
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp coriander
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover a cookie sheet with lightly greased aluminum foil.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash sliced-side down and bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
- Allow squash to cool completely, then peel off skin and chop into cubes.
- Saute butter and onion in large sauce pan until onion is tender and transparent.
- Add squash, broth, cumin, pepper and coriander. Bring to a brief boil, stirring occasionally.
- In a food processor or blender, puree squash mixture and cream cheese in batches until smooth.
- - -
I'm not a huge fan of sweet butternut squash soup, so I love this creamy take on one of my Fall favorites. If you're looking for a good starter to a nice meal, or a comforting lunch on a chilly day, this soup is sure to please!