Wednesday, July 8, 2009

a first: strawberry jam

Reading the directions... for the millionth time.

I'm not entirely sure what possessed me to want to make my own strawberry jam, but one fine day after the Farmers Market, I decided to do just that. When I was growing up, my mom was always tending her garden and preserving the fruits (and vegetables) of her labor. I suppose at twenty-six years old, it just seemed like time for me to try my hand at the fine art of making jam.

Stirring the hot, sticky mess. Considering Smuckers instead.

While I had no idea that it would be so time consuming (and gooey) - I had a great time doing it. I sort of thought I'd get more than two jars of jam out of the deal, but then again I also didn't think it would take nearly as long as it did.

My two little jars of jam cooling upside down.

Of course, the real test will be once I actually taste the jam, but for now I'm just pleased that they remotely resemble strawberry preserves. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. yummy strawberry jam! I like to make crepes on the weekends- that jam would go perfect along with some fresh whipped cream!

    Have a good weekend.
    XO
    SHS

    ReplyDelete